Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A letter to FOOD : Friend , Enemy or Frenemy


Dear Food ,
WE NEED TO TALK !! I know , this is where relationships end . Don't worry , I just want to tell you what is going on in my mind and what I feel .
Reality check : I have a lot of other friends, friends who are willing to listen , share and give advice . But out of all these friends, you are the only one who is there in the strangest times and situations , in the middle of night when I have a huge problem that is preventing me from sleeping , in the awkward moments where suddenly I feel that my self esteem had hit rock bottom.
I am not saying that my friendship with you is a source of disappointment ,  I am simply disappointed with the fact that I am not dealing with it in the right way. I am using you in way that  is causing my more harms than good  .
Yes, I know , you make me feel better ; but for how long ? Two or three minutes ? And then what ? Nothing but feeling worse and ashamed. Yes , I don't feel so proud of myself when I eat you in the wrong time.
Do I love you ? Yes . But that doesn't mean that I want to be defined by you ,  I don't want people to look at me and say ' This is the person who loves food ' . I don't want you to have your effect on me and my body ; don't get me wrong , I don't care about what people think of me , but at the same time eating you a lot is an obstacle between me and the way I want to look like , between me and the image I want to have.
'We eat to live , we don't live to eat' , I SOMEHOW believe in this , I have to admit that I was raised in a society where food has always been a part of every occasion , birthdays ,weddings , graduation , funerals and I can go on and on with the list. And I am not willing to change this , I just want our relationship to be a healthier one , a relationship that will not make me hate you deep  inside.
I am not breaking up with you , I just want to tell you that starting from this moment , we  will have shorter meeting s  , no meetings after 7:00 pm because that is the time where you are most harmful to me . When I see you , I don’t want you to be wearing your 'SWEETS' suit or your 'JUNK' costume because they are not my style anymore.
Believe it or not it is going to be harder for me than you ; Actually , I am thinking of paying you a visit right now but I won't do it , because I need to do this for myself , to be a healthy , self confident and a better  person .
With Love ,
Your Friend ,
Ziad Bakri
November 12th, 2011 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Palestinian/ Freelance writer, translator and Trainer./ I believe that writing is therapy and that is why I write./ 26 years old.
Designed ByBlogger Templates